A Dirty 6 Letter Word...Cancer



Amanda, Matt, Jay, Justin in Africa



Me, Amanda, Amber


Amanda was a highschool graduate when she found out her mom was pregnant...again. Amanda grew up with 3 younger brothers and always prayed for a little sister. When Matt wasn't pestering her, Jay was dismembering her Barbie dolls, or Justin was getting into plenty of trouble. Right before her Christmas break of freshman year, I came into the world and she finally had a sister.

I was a chronically sick baby, and Amanda was a great sitter/sister. I found comfort as a wee babe by sucking on her chin, and she humbly wore that chin hickey for days. ;) At 4 years old, I discovered her makeup bag and applied a full face much to her surprise. I was excited to be the flower girl in her wedding and my heart was broken watching my big sister and her new husband leave the reception for their honeymoon. Although nearly old enough to be my mother, she did her best to make our times together special whether is was a trip to the bowling alley, arcade, or decorating cookies. A few years later, she and her hubby moved 2,500 miles away and, yet again, my heart was broken. I remember moping like a sad little puppy for days on end.

As a teenager, I'd talk to her about my friendship woes and she'd listen and be a sympathetic ear. Eventually, I came up with a "mantra" for her: "Guide me. Don't oppress me." We've both struggled to find that balance between being sisters with such a wide age gap and on more than one occasion I'd just want her to listen and she just wanted to share her wisdom, hence, our mantra. ;)

Amanda is gifted in so many ways, but I've always admired her sincere love for God. She is passionate and devoted. Her awesome husband (Lieutenant Colonel in the Army and very proud am I) is one spoiled man. Amanda is supremely organized and the Queen of the Organic Kitchen.

Just like plants can't grow without rain, my sister has been caught up in a fierce storm and we are clinging to the promise that God will never leave or forsake us. Just like that story in the book of Mark (see previous 2 posts) about Jesus falling asleep on the boat during the storm. He was powerful and present - although silent.

This summer, the rental house they live in went into foreclosure and they were forced to pack up all their belongings for an imminent move - destination unknown. At the same time, they found out Kent was specifically requested for a year-long deployment to Afghanistan for a very important assignment. Simultaneously, Amanda has had some strange health problems with no luck determining the core of the problem.

You can see that her circumstances already are "unfavorable" and challenging, but then it got worse. Amanda has had a strange bump on her tongue for over a year and finally got a biopsy. She got the results last week after an agonizing wait.

As I read her email, my heart dropped. "I have cancer." I had to read it again to be sure I saw that right. Cancer? My sister has cancer.

The Army has been accommodating and is re-assigning Kent. They will be all moved out of their house by tomorrow and, as soon as they move, they can begin tackling their treatment options. The doctor is now saying that she'll need a major neck dissection with tumor removal and reconstructive surgery. They have a long, scary road ahead of them. And I'm left thinking, "Cancer? MY sister...has...cancer? Lord, can you do something about this?"

And I know He can.

Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine,
according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the
church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
~Ephesians 3:20-21

Will you please pray with me?
1. ask the Lord to unleash His power and heal my sister's body
2. ask that the cancer NOT spread to her lymph nodes
3. ask for more FAITH to walk by (since we don't walk by sight)
4. ask for His presence to overwhelm Amanda and Kent with peace

My family thanks you for interceding for us.




Comments

  1. Abs. This is so amazing. We are totally with you in these prayers! Oh Jesus, teach us how to pray!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prayed each of those things for your sister and the family. Stay positive! Love u!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll continue to pray for Amanda and your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a sister who is 20 years older than me, but we aren't nearly as close as you two. I'm praying for yiur family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ABBY, you are a blessing! Thank you for posting this and thanks to all your friends who have joined in praying for GOD to do immeasurably more than we ask or think! We too know HE is faithful to HImself, although sometime we have to acknowledge the fact with our wills. GOD bless you dear sister-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found my way here through Kent's fb page.... Amanda is one of my best friends, and yes! we will stand with you in prayer. xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts